Apprenticeship Levy

The apprenticeship levy is a tax that is taken from employers with a payroll of more than £3 million by the HMRC and this tax must be used to upskill existing staff onto apprenticeships or to recruit and employ new staff and train and support them on an apprenticeship programme.

Small and medium sized employers do not have to pay the levy tax and can access the same apprenticeship will be charged 5% of the cost of the apprenticeship programme selected and the remaining 95% cost of the program is funded by the government.

Exception

Exception for small employers who employ less than 50 people – they do not have to pay the 5% for 16 – 18 year old apprentices or for 19 – 24 year old care leavers (if criteria is met).

When the employer takes on a 16-18 year old onto an apprenticeship framework or standard, they receive £1,000 to help meet the extra costs associated with this. This will be paid to employers in two equal instalments at 3 months and 12 months.

A payment to employers for each new apprentice recruited from 1st August – 31st January 2021. The amount depends on the age of the apprentice.

£2,000 payment for Employers for each new Apprentice they recruit under 25.

£1,500 payment for Employers for each new Apprentice they recruit over 25.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work/apprenticeship-levy-how-it-will-work

If you would like to learn more about the apprenticeship levy or the cost of apprenticeship programs for small to medium sized employers please contact us on 01273 980260

Testimonials

"From Day one Next Step Apprenticeships were professional, informative and organised which is what I needed when I approached the Directors to get our up-skilling project up and running."

"Next Step Apprenticeships have been fantastic, with nothing left to chance and everyone knowing what to expect next. I would highly recommend them, so much so that we have just asked them to find us another apprentice."

Subscribe to our newsletter



Share This